Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Experience with the Photo Essay

I have never written a photo essay nor have I ever even heard of one. At first I thought it was going to be easy because I thought it was just pictures. For my research paper I decided to talk about JDM, which is an illness that my cousin has. After we looked at examples of photo essays, I realized that in order to make my photos work I would have to use them differently than I thought. At first, I thought I was just going to be able to put all the pictures of the symptoms of JDM on a power point and be done, but this wasn't the case. I had to use my photos to tell a story.

This is when I decided to tell the story about how Caroline went from being a normal girl, to then doing an off Broadway production, to then having an illness that effected her dancing abilities. Currently, Caroline is on medication and she is doing better, but not perfect. She still continues to sing often but dancing is tiring. From Caroline's story we can all learn that even though we might have battles to overcome in our lives, that we cannot let them hold us back.

I think that this photo essay was something different to do other than just writing a paper. Unfortunately, many of my classmates did not really understand the topic and what was required for the assignment.

The essay engages with the rhetorical strategy pathos because since it is an illness, we feel sympathy for the people that have the illness. Logos is used because I know a lot about the topic because my cousin has the illness and it is related to my illness-Ulcerative Colitis.

Yes I think that the narrative text provides enough information for one to understand the argument of the photo essay. It also helps that there are descriptions of all the photos and gives background information that needs to be known to understand the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment